How to Keep Your Roof Wash Wellington Clean

While you might take the time to care for the inside of your home and also keep up with landscaping and mowing, you might forget that your roof needs some attention too. Having a dirty roof is not only unsightly but can actually cost you money.

The reason is that moss and algae on your roof can eat away at your shingles. This not only looks awful but can lead to water leaks within your home.

Roof Algae

Algae is what causes those dark streaks on your roof and can damage the shingles. It’s airborne spores that cause the streaking, not mold or mildew, and the problem can spread quickly in coastal areas and humid climates. The specific algae that grow on your roof is called Gloeocapsa Magma, and it feeds on the limestone filler in shingle asphalt. This can lead to deterioration and premature replacement of the shingles.

The dark spots also prevent the roof from reflecting sunlight, which can significantly shorten its lifespan. And if the spores travel to other structures on your property, such as sheds and barns, they can damage their surfaces too. And worse, the spores can be ingested by family members, damaging their health.

You can’t control when the wind deposits algae spores on your roof, but you can make it less attractive to them by keeping debris and leaves away from the surface. Trimming back overhanging trees and scheduling regular roof and gutter cleaning can also minimize the problem.


Moss can quickly spread on damp roof areas and if not treated can create green clumps that are unsightly and can cause damage to the tiles. Moss can also absorb moisture and can allow water to penetrate into the building causing damage and requiring expensive repairs.

The best way to remove moss from your roof is to use a professional jet washing service. This process involves a high pressure water jet which can be adjusted for the appropriate level of power without affecting the integrity of the tiles. This method of cleaning can also be used for decks and paths where a biocide spray can be applied to kill off any remaining spores.

It is recommended that you have your roof washed twice a year to prevent the buildup of organic growth and algae staining. This will help prevent any future problems with your roof that may require a costly repair. A clean roof can also boost kerb appeal and make your home look more appealing to potential buyers.


Often dirt accumulates on the exterior surfaces of your home and is an unsightly build-up. Depending on where it is coming from, this may be a result of tree branches brushing against your roof or the wind blowing particles onto your rooftop.

Dirt particles can cause a number of issues for your home, especially if they are allowed to stay on the surface for a long time. When this happens, the build-up creates a base for other types of mold to thrive. Dirt also traps heat and can cause your roof to become damaged.

While many homeowners focus on painting their walls and mowing their lawn every week, it is important to also keep the outside of your house clean. A dirty roof can make even the most beautiful home look dull and unattractive. Our Wellington roof wash and pressure cleaning professionals can remove all the dirt and debris that has accumulated on your home’s exterior. Our process is safe and quick and can be used on any type of surface.


Mold isn’t just unsightly, it can also have a negative impact on the interior of a home. It can produce a musty, damp odor and cause damage to household items. In addition, mold spores can trigger respiratory issues and contribute to environmental illnesses.

A good way to test whether a stain is caused by mildew or mold is to dab it with household chlorine bleach. If the stain lightens or disappears, it is most likely mold.

Mold spores are invisible to the naked eye and spread through the air by wafting on air currents. They can also attach themselves to people and animals, and may be carried on clothes or shoes. Once indoors, they thrive on wet cellulose materials, such as paper and cardboard, as well as wood. Mold spores can destroy whatever they grow on and consume it for nutrients, and over time, they release mycotoxins and allergens into the air. The airborne spores can also cause respiratory problems, particularly in individuals with existing allergies or respiratory conditions.

Leave a Reply